- What is the BAYOU Summer Program?
Beginning Agricultural Youth Opportunities Unlimited (BAYOU) Program provides an opportunity for high school students to gain first hand” knowledge about career opportunities in Agriculture, Family and Consumer Sciences and related disciplines.
- What is the purpose of the College of Agricultural Family and Consumer Sciences Program?
The major purpose of this program is to stimulate interest in careers opportunities available in the agricultural fields of study among high school students. Rising high school seniors (have completed 11 grade) and graduating seniors (incoming freshman).
What are the academic requirements? Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Is knowledge of agriculture or family and consumer sciences required?
- Are there specific courses one should have taken?
Yes. The applicant should have completed or are working on a college preparatory curriculum.
- Is there a cost to participate in the program?
No. The program pays all expenses.
- Can I attend freshman orientation during the program? (Can I be excused for days during the program)
Yes, if selected, the program will aid you in coordinating an orientation date during the program. No, extended absences from the program do not allow students to be involved and understand the information presented. We require students to be on site for the duration of the program.
- How many students will be selected?
A maximum of 30 students may be selected to participate in this year’s program. The exact number will depend on availability of funds and the number of qualified applicants.
- How do I get into the program?
Interested participants must submit an application, copy of an official high school transcript(s), copy of ACT scores and 2 letters of recommendation to:
Southern University and A&M College
College of Agricultural, Family & Consumer Sciences
Fisher Hall, Rm 102
Baton Rouge, LA 70813
Attn: BAYOU Program
- When is the deadline for submitting an application?
Applications must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2020.