State Livestock and Poultry Show
Since 1943, Southern University has upheld the tradition of providing an opportunity for youth throughout the State of Louisiana to gain valuable knowledge and skills at the Annual State Livestock and Poultry Show.The SU Ag Center Sate Livestock Show is the premiere event for youth to display showmanship and quality animals. Over the years, the program has made a positive impact on the state and its citizens, recruited students to Southern University, and developed professional agriculture and home economics workers, community leaders, entrepreneurs, and politicians. The show has contributed enormously to the total agricultural industry and economy of the state of Louisiana.
The purpose of the show is to:
- Stimulate a greater interest in increasing the production of livestock among farmers in Louisiana;
- Serve as a basis for improving breeding practices for livestock;
- Create an interest in producing livestock products as business enterprises;
- Assist in developing a better spirit of cooperative effort among rural and urban residents;
- Provide an opportunity for youth to develop ownership and leadership skills.
Harold Mellieon, Ph.D.
Southern University Ag Center