20th Anniversary Celebration
Southern University opened its doors in 1880 in New Orleans, Louisiana, with 12 students, five faculty members and a budget totaling $10,000. in 1914, the University was relocated to Louisiana's capital city - Baton Rouge. The Southern University and A&M College System was created by the state legislature under the management of the Southern University Board of Supervisors. The University expanded to other cities in the state, establishing Southern University, New Orleans (SUNO), Southern University Shreveport (SUSLA), the Southern University Law Center and the Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center (SUAREC).
The Southern University Ag Center was established on July 1, 2001 out of the need to enhance the impact of our land-grant programs on the citizenry of the state of Louisiana. The mission of the Center is to conduct basic and applied research and disseminate information to the citizens of Louisiana in a manner that is essential in addressing their scientific, technological, social, economic and cultural needs of its clientele. SUAREC encompasses the Center for Small Farm Research, which was established in 1983, the Cooperative Extension Program, the SU Livestock Show and its state-of -the-art arena with a 385-acre agricultural research experiment station and the Southwest Center for Rural Initiatives, a satellite entity located in Opelousas. In recent years, the College of Agricultural, Family and Consumer Sciences at Southern University in Baton Rouge has been relinked to the Southern University Ag Center with an inaugural Chancellor-Dean taking office effective September 1, 2016.