Southern Institute for Medicinal Plants (SIMP)
The Southern Institute for Medicinal Plants will conduct research to source potential nutraceuticals, to isolate and identify medicinal value of the isolated compound using in vitro/ in vivo studies. Specific objectives:
- Establish a national/state herbal garden and collection of medicinal and aromatic plant species from various locations with the US.
- Strengthen the Ex-situ conservation practices and training to farmers of Louisiana in commercial herbal farming and marketing.
- Propagation and supplying quality planting material to commercial herbal industry.
- Establish research activities to screen, identify, prepare aqueous and organic extracts from select plants and determine their composition.
- Evaluate the bio-activity of these extracts using in vitro and in vivo studies against various cancer cell lines such as breast, prostate and lung alongside debilitating diseases like arthritis, vasculitis, and cardiomyopathies, etc.
- Metabolic pathway modulation of suitable medicinal plants to increase targeted production of medicinally important plant products/secondary metabolites through use of LED lighting.
Dr. Janana Snowden
150 A.O. Williams Hall
B.A. Little Drive,
Bld. 181, Baton Rouge, LA 70813